Friday, March 7, 2014

24 February 2014, East Brunswick

I am more familiar with Jersey hospitals than my own area.
Not really. But I felt like that last week. Elder Wood got sick with some stomach problems and we had to go to the hospital to get him hydrated.
This was the conversation when we (Elder Bellevance and I) were dropping him off (keep in mind that there is literally NO PARKING IN ALL OF NEW BRUNSWICK):
Me: Alright we'll drop you off at the corner and you go in.
Elder B: But he can't be alone.
Elder Wood: Ooooooh I feel like I'm gonna die! (continues groaning)
Me; Ah shoot you're right.. what do we do?! (car behind us starts honking)
Elder B: I don't know!
Me: We'll just watch him walk inside and give him the phone!" (getting really stressed out)
Elder B: Alright then.
Elder Wood: (groaning, stumbles out of the car holding an empty trash can for a barf bucket and walks into the emergency department)

Totally dishevelment.  Then it takes Elder Bellevance and I 20 minutes to find a parking spot. Finally we park on the 8th floor of an expensive parking garage (cause we're cheap missionaries) and head down to find Elder Wood in a hospital bed in the emergency room, still wimpering. 

So they can't find anything wrong with him except he's nauseated and can't keep food down so at about 8 pm, they move us up into the Pediatrics department, in the CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL. Elder Wood just looked like a big baby, sitting on the beg with an IV in him. It was hilarious. I had to spend the night there on Tuesday night and then we went on an exchange with one of our zone leaders on Wednesday night so I could get a good night's sleep. ALSO, while Elder Wood was sleeping/getting tests done, The zone leaders gave me permission to leave my companion. I definitely took full advantage of the situation: went to the cafeteria, got breakfast, chatted with nurses and doctors, looked at hospital photos, contacted Elder Wood's nurse and invited her to church, (she was from Trinidad & Tobago, pretty rad), and just wandered the hospital halls. Also, I pretended that I was asleep while Elder Wood was getting "checked" in his hospital bed at 12:00 at night. I heard the whole conversation and I as dying.

As far as real, gritty missionary work this week: We had a couple solid days of work. yesterday, for example, a Peruvian lady named Lourdes took us to some of her Peruvian friend's houses in Jamesburg (corner of our HUGE area). She said that she was super willing to come out "knocking" with us. I LOVE MEMBERS like her. Anyway, the people we knocked let us right in, of course, because they knew her, and we then taught a really good lesson on the Book of Mormon. After, we went to another house, and her inactive friend and his 17-year-old daughter came outside. The mother of the house didn't want us in there so I taught my very first car-lesson ever. It was actually really spiritual. The 17-year-old girl is really struggling with a belief in God. She feels like he's never really answered her and she's looking for "a physical sign". IT was cool to teach someone young that is at that point in their life where they are confused, yet humble and willing to experiment upon our words.

We are doing well. The work is growing. Pedro de Jesus is on date for the 16th. Pray for him, he really needs to ask his boss for work off. He's learning to play the piano, and he works at a diner. I love that 20-something-year-old man from Oaxaca, Mexico. We really need to focus on finding and talking to everyone this week because I feel like our area NEEDS it. 

O let me shake at the first sight of sin."


EC

No comments:

Post a Comment