Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Who's the prophet?"


Peter Gabriel, was introduced to me by my father probably in the mid-nineties... possibly through Genesis (Peter Gabriel was one of the founding members and dominant songwriter for their first several albums) but most likely through a double disc greatest hits CD of Gabriel's solo work.

Although I did not listen to him frequently and of my own accord throughout elementary school or even middle school, he came back to me, (or should I say me to him), my sophomore year of high school with a song called Sky Blue from the album "Up". 

In the past year, my father purchased Gabriel's first three albums, all technically self-titled, with titles given by fans, (respectively) "Car", "Scratch" and "Melt". 
The closing song on "Car (Peter Gabriel 1)" is a track called Here Comes The Flood.
The original recording is complete with crashing drums, exploding electric guitars and the apocalyptic piano that gives the song it's anthemic chorus. Unfortunately that version is rare and a live "full-band" version is even rarer.

However, this version relays the same emotion (at least to me) that Peter Gabriel projected in the original recording, which makes it one-of-a-kind and completely incredible.

Lord, here comes the flood
We'll say goodbye to flesh and blood
If again the seas are silent
in any still alive
It'll be those who gave their island to survive
Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry.


It's amazing to me that a 27-year-old can sound exactly the same as he does now at 62.

1 comment: