Sunday, November 3, 2013

October 28, 2013, Passaic

Elder Townsend, new missionary

1. Tanner - write me man.

2. It's getting colder. I like it and I don't. I get moody when the weather
is changing drastically like this.

3. Family, how are you? Thanks for the email, Dad. Those pictures of you
and Jed mountain biking are AWESOME. Hey, also, I was wondering if for
X-Mas I could just a little something from each of your brother's and
sister's family. At least a photo of each person. Because I don't even
remember what some of them look like... Talk to them, and let me know. MOM,
you too. I wanna see if Marlo, Duane, and/or Bonnie have changed at all.

Alright let's kick into the letter now:

This past week was the baptism of the de la Cruz family. Here's their quick
story:
As I I've told you: Richard got into the church because his GF Jennifer is
a strong member. He got baptized about a month ago. His family started
investigating shortly after and they all received witnesses by the power of
the Holy Ghost that this IS the true gospel of Jesus Christ and His
restored church. His mother, Jacqueline, and sister, Shantal, got baptized
in Paterson yesterday and we got to go see the baptism. Also, a
companionship of sisters in our zone baptized a 9-year-old Ecuadorian boy.
But anyway, it was really cool to see almost the entire family get
baptized. Elder Nielsen and I were having a short discussion about how the
gospel changes lives and how even when we teach people that don't get
baptized during the time that WE are teaching them, we've got to have the
faith that they will join the church later on. So, it was really cool,
because E. Nielsen was the first missionary to teach the de la Cruz family
and I got to teach Richard a couple of times and prepare him for baptism.
Lots of missionaries helped this family become members of the restored
Gospel of Christ.

Other marvelous note: I got to give Richard the priesthood yesterday, and
ordain him to the office of Priest. He's an amazing person.

The Acosta family is progressing little by little. They didn't come to
church yesterday because Sofie was sick, but they will be coming next week.
I learn so much from E. Nielsen as we teach them. He teaches with a power
that comes from his over-arching surge of sympathy, compassion, sincerity,
and love. I admire him and am trying to be like him. Last night, we read
part of the story of Enos with them and talked about how we can receive
answers for our prayers. Then, this morning, I was reading in 1 Nephi 15
(just started the Book of Mormon in Spanish again - 2nd time) and there's a
part where Nephi says to Laman and Lemuel:

"Have you inquired of the Lord? And they said unto me: We have not; for the
Lord maketh no such thing unto us. Behold, I said unto them: How is it that
you do not keep the commandments of the Lord? ... Do you not remember the
things which the Lord hath said? - If ye will ... ask me in faith,
believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments,
surely these things shall be made known unto you." ASK GOD. Ask Him about
everything. Give Him your questions, doubts, weaknesses. He'll answer.

I know the church is true. May God bless you all.


EC

Shantal and Jaqueline's baptism








No comments:

Post a Comment