Saturday, February 5, 2011

YOU'RE STUCK IN MY MIND.

I'm not one for "inspirational" blog posts but I just had a couple of thoughts.

I came back from Youth Conference today. We went up to Aspen Grove and skied/snowshoed/played pool/ping pong (I was the undefeated champion of pool. I have no idea how that happened).

Anyway, I've been obsessed with Yeasayer lately, the entire Odd Blood album is brilliant (other than this CD, it's been straight thug hip-hop and depressing acoustic stuff, ie Elliott Smith and Bright Eyes). In the second track called "Ambling Alp" it says something like... Well I'll just post the lyrics. Read every word.

Ambling Alp - Yeasayer

Now kid I know I haven't been a perfect man
And I've avoided doing things I know I can
But if I've learned one thing to tattoo on my arm
Or burn into my thumb it would be that

You must stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done

Oh Max Schmelling was a formidable foe
The Ambling Alp was too at least that's what I'm told
But if you learn one thing you've learned it well
In June you must give fascists hell
They'll run but they can't hide

You must stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done

And when those thunder clouds are cryin
(in the skies, in the skies)
And when those fireflies keep shining,
(in your eyes, in your eyes)
Keep your mind on the time,
With your ass on the line,
Keep your fleet feet sliding
(side, to the side)

Now the world can be an unfair place at times
But your lows will have their compliment of highs
And if anyone should cheat you
Take advantage of or beat you raise your head
And wear your wounds with pride

You must stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son
Never mind what anybody else done
Stick up for yourself son

Now those are lyrics with heart.
So anyway, it really made me think: There are so many people that care about stupid, fickle things. We need to let go of everything in the world that holds us back and makes us afraid of who we are or what we can be. "Never mind what anyone else done."

I don't know, in the end we lose everything anyway.

I'd like to imagine that this song is based around a father speaking to his son, I mean, I know that's probably not the case because in the modern music industry, using words like, "son" or "girl" or "darling" just add to the cleverness of the lyrics, or so some people think. Maybe the reason I like the idea of a father-son relationship in this song is because my relationship with my dad is an incredible one. My dad is given me word after word of advice and he has raised me to live my life according to what I want to do. I think that takes heart, as a father. Your sons and/or daughters could choose to take a completely different path than the one that you took. In fact, I bet they most definitely will.

"Now the world can be an unfair place at times
But your lows will have their compliment of highs
And if anyone should cheat you
Take advantage of or beat you raise your head
And wear your wounds with pride" is the one of the most powerful pieces. Yes, the world will hold it's boot on your throat at times. But these lows are essential to "compliment" the highs, your happy times.

Best part - wear those wounds with pride.
As a kid I loved getting bashed and beat up because I could wear band-aids or just have cuts and bruises lying on my skin and look plain tough.
And so my friends, if you take one thing, just one that you should "tattoo on your arm or burn into your thumb" (or take into the next life with you), it's this:

Stick up for yourselves, sons. Never mind what anybody else done.

2 comments:

  1. Niels anti-social Christensen,

    Do you want more classical music? ... Because I want my thumb drive. Bitte?

    Danke schon. ps. ilikethispost

    ReplyDelete