Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15, 2012 (Perth Amboy, NJ)


Alright cool. Here I am in the Perth Amboy Public Library. Surrounded by Mexicans and Dominicans. I love every last one of them.

So I got transferred to Perth Amboy, farther south and right on the coast. It's super cool, but way different than my last area. We are a WALKING mission, which is awesome. That's honestly all I wanted on my whole mission was to be in a walking area.

COMPANION: Elder Giglio (Gee-lee-Oh). He's half Spanish (Spain) and half Italian but he was born and raised in Mexico. He speaks a little less english than I speak Spanish. But he's super cool. We get along SO WELL. The other day we were walking on the pier and I pointed to my butt and said "What's this?" (assuming he understood that I was asking what was the spanish word for it). He looked at me and said "Hmm.. ass?.. NO. BUTT!" in english. and I started busting up laughing. He apologized and felt bad but I told him it was alright and that it was actually hilarious. Some good influence I am.
We work REALLY well together. Our comp uinity is great and we teach with the spirit. It's rad. I love Elder Giglio and we help each other so much with the language. I ALWAYS speak to him in spanish, and he usually speaks to me in english. There's deifinitely a language barrier, but it doesn't seem to bother us at all.

Tons of our conversations begin with something like "What's THIS in spanish" or "What's does THIS mean in English". I seriously already, after 5 days, have a boatload of hilarious conversations with Elder Giglio.

This transfer is honestly going to be such a dream. I wanted a native companion and to be in a walking area and I got both.

Story #1: Really short but awesome: We had just finished teaching our investigator named Ysrael, from Peru, and as we started to leave, I saw a road bike sitting in his hallway. I said "HEY! Who's is that?" in spanish of course. He said it was his and we walked up to it and started checking it out. OK! Dad and Finn. 1978 Peugeot Road Bike with all original parts, nicely tuned and cleaned up by Ysrael. About 15 seconds later of talking, he let me go outside and try it out. It was awesome and super smooth. MAN. I was in heaven. AND THEN GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.... He was like "Do you want to borrow it?" I almost started crying. He said that his wife was pregnant at the moment and he didn't have time right now, so he said I could have it, until I leave the area. That's the thing about Perth Amboy. Everyone is so filled with the Love of God. They're all so prepared for the gospel. We have like 10 investigators that are progressing and we had 6 investigators at church yesterday, which is the highest I've had.
So yep, I've got a road bike now and Elder Giglio has his bike and we bike around town feeling SO AWESOME in the autumn breeze.
The area is nuts and really fast paced. We have a bunch of investigators that are so close to being baptized, they just need something to push them over the edge. I learn so much from Elder Giglio, who has taught me that you don't have to be super stressed, when people bail on you and everything goes wrong. When he speaks english it's wonderful and humble.  

Sorry if I confused anyone about talking in tongues of angels or something. I'm still speaking Spanish, I was just feeling super stoked and filled with love when I wrote that email, as I was leaving the area and I got an incredible email from Lydia.

My new address is:
186 Patterson St. #4
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861

So you all can write me, BUT if you have packages, send them to the mission office.
The other night we went and visited a Mexican family in the ward. The Chico family. They're AWESOME. Hermana Chico made us pasta soup with spicy avocado sauce, salted beef, fresh tortillas and apple soda. It was unreal. The food here is great, as usual. AND Elder Giglio makes Mexican and Italian food, which is awesome. He's already taught me to cook a little bit.

I feel so great right now. I think we're going to head home after this, write a few letters, cut each other's hair, go for a bike ride and maybe sit on the beach in the cool autumn weather. It's overcast 70% of the time here, which is awesome. It's cool being in a port town.

FAMILY: I'm jealous of your cool experiences in West Yellowstone. It looked absolutely beautiful in the fall colors, up there in the mountains. Thanks for the photos, Dad. I got your letter but it got sent to my old apartment, so I'll get it in a few days. And thanks for the little update, mother. You're both incredible parents, who have raised splendid children.. except for Lars. Still a nerd (JOKES).
Finn: How's school going? WRite me a little letter.
Lars: Good to hear about your project. I loved the Egyptian day. It was rad. Have you made a bunch of new friends... EXCITED TO get the Priesthood? I am. You're gonig to be such little spiritual powerhouse. Remember to read your scriptures and pray. Finn and Lars: I can promise you right now that it will make you happier than you know.
Kai: write me, brother. I want to hear how your life is. I heard you wrote a little something to Natalie. Let me know how you're doing.

Kent: Got your other letter, but not actually. It got sent to my old address, so I'm going to go pick it up this week. THanks man, you're the best.
Bayley: Got your letter too. I'm sorry I've been the worst at writing back. Writing back soon.
Everyone else: thanks for everything.

Sending my memory card home today. Hope you like it.

LOVE GOD.

EC

No comments:

Post a Comment