Sunday, November 4, 2012

October 22, 2012 (Perth Amboy)



Rough week this week. I'll be honest. We didn't teach very much and had to spend a lot of time walking and talking to people on the streets. At times it's hard to see if you're making a huge difference in the work, but we do know that the Lord is on our side and that he will lift us when we need him.

I loved Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk in General Conference about not having regrets. He gave counsel about how to avoid regrets and honestly, I feel like it's truly blessed me as a missionary and helped me to stay happy:
"-Resolve to spend more time with those we love
-Resolve to strive more earnestly to become the person that God wants us to be.
-Resolve to find happiness, regardless of our circumstances"
I love that because, at times, it's so difficult to see feel like you're truly helping people come unto Christ, because they don't even choose to accept you. But if we are happy and we serve with joy and with a willing heart, we will find happiness in every situation, no matter how rough it may seem.

We have the most amazing, prepared investigator.
She's a 40 year old, hip mother from Columbia. Speaks really good English but we teach her in Spanish of course. Elder Giglio wouldn't have it any other way. Here are just a few facts about her: She's a school teacher, specifically works with kids with autism, so she's really loving and patient. She takes NOTES when we teach. I was astounded when she brought out a notebook with her Book of Mormon and other spriptural materials. She laughs all the time and LOVES to talk, like all Latin people. Her sister is a member. She's already had several amazing spiritual experiences. She already lives the Word of Wisdom. She is still getting out of a divorce with her husband, which was her worry about getting baptized. Yep, she told us she wants to be baptized. She is so cool and I can't believe that we get to teach and probably baptize her.
I had a cool little revelation the other day when we were teaching her:
She took one missionary lesson with her sister in Pennsylvania, with those elders and i was thinking about how those Elders are probably saying something like "MAN WE wanted to baptize her... ah man.. what a bummer.." And I was thinking about how universal the Lord's work is. Of course, I'm on the lucky end of this situation, but still. If we don't get to baptize this woman, it's okay, because she WILL be baptized. I love how God works.

Still working with our investigator, Francisco, from the Dominican Republic. He has a hard time believing in our doctrine but TOTALLY respects the testimony we live. He bases a lot of his belief on the Catholic church, as his leg was healed by a catholic father, because he has an AMAZING amount of faith. He's really interesting to talk with because he's well read and really smart.

Letters received this week: Chris, Gemma. I am so stoked to write you guys back. PS - Gemma. I was literally about to ask for your address from Lydia and then I got your letter. Thanks so much. It lifted and blessed me and made me want to go out and help people. Thanks for your example.

FAMILY: I'm so glad you got to hear from Jackson. He's so rad and I already miss  him. Dad. I KNEW YOU GUYS WOULD HIT IT OFF> Haha. Called it. How's everything going back home? Love you all so so much. Write you soon. I'm ticked cause I really want to get the mini package you sent me. I'll probably get it next week.

Love you all. Thanks for being there for me, because I always need you.

EC



No comments:

Post a Comment